Monday, April 12, 2010

arabian nights

This post has nothing to do with teaching but it is an excellent quote I collected from an 11-year-old boy at the Jordanian wedding I attended this weekend. Being among the few non-Arabs in attendance, a family of four boys and mine came together. I don't know if you've ever been to an Arab wedding, but it involves some serious dancing. I'm talking hours upon hours of dancing for at least a couple of consecutive nights. Saturday night, following the henna ceremony, was probably the longest dancing streak ever. A full 5 hours straight. And everyone was involved.

I've never been known to even recognize where my hips are, so my presence at this wedding alone was probably an embarrassment to all mankind. But these people were seriously getting down. When what seemed to be a belly-dancing song came on, this boy, Isaac, remarked, "Wow, even the fat ladies know how to move their junks."

Adorable AND respectful. Future of America, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment