Sunday, February 7, 2010

Eeestop Your Crying

This was about my third day on the job and I walked into a classroom to this.

SCENE: Kids going crazy all over the classroom and the little trouble-making boy who I've been previously introduced to as Steve, is already at the thinking table...
Teacher's Explanation: "They haven't been outside in months, so they're starting to lose it." Umm...ok?

Just as I'm about to settle in, among the chaos, I hear loudly and clearly:
"I WILL F@%^ YOU UP!"-Katherine, age 3.*
As I get over my disbelief for this little girl's potty mouth, I shuffle her over to a makeshift time out area as Steve is already occupying the thinking table. Just as I sit her down--at this point, Darling Katherine is kicking and screaming--I hear another loud little voice scream, "I WILL BEAT YOUR A$#!"-Morgan, age 3*

I'm literally about to lose it because umm, hello? Why are these kids so angry?? As I move to place Morgan in yet another new time out chair, Katherine has gotten angrier and louder with her tantrum. Steve, who is from Russia and hardly speaks English, gets out of his seat at the thinking table and in a thick accents states the following to angry little Katherine:
"Eeestop your crying. No one wants to hear you cry anymore." And retreats back to the TT (I will now refer to the thinking table as the TT because I feel like it will become a commonly used word in my stories), as if his business is finished. Well, I couldn't have said it better myself. She was starting to get on my one big nerve.

Welcome to teaching, I suppose.


*I normally don't sensor profanity but coming from a 3-year-old, I just can't bring myself to spell it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment